April 2021 Release Note: Accessibility
This month we’ve got a few product updates for you, along with a new article to help learn how to create accessible videos on CorpU. Check out this month's highlights below:
Important new features added to CorpU on April 26th.
Creating Accessible Videos on CorpU
Videos should be produced and delivered in ways that ensure all participants can access the content. An accessible video includes captions, a transcript, and an audio description delivered in an accessible media player. With more and more digital video content available, video accessibility is becoming more of a priority. People want to ensure everyone – regardless of ability or background – can understand their videos.
CorpU addresses video accessibility head-on with closed captioning and variable playback speed capabilities. Closed captioning, the visual audio display component of a video, allows people to read spoken dialogue, as well as non-speech information like music or sound effects. Variable playback speed, the slowing down or speeding up of the playback rate of a video, allows people to watch videos at their own pace and catch the finer details of the video.
Smaller enhancements we have made to our product
- Updated the 404 page with a new design and helpful links in the event a member tries to access a page that no longer exists
- Improved the "You're falling behind" message that is displayed on members My Courses page
- Improved the accessibility of course activity pages to ensure pages meet WCAG compliance
- Improved accessibility when navigating the main site navigation menu using keyboard controls
- Localized new navigation menu to display properly across all supported languages
Corrections to bugs that have been identified in our product
- Fixed the progress bar not displaying properly on the course landing page
- Fixed an issue where boxes would appear around the backpack icon when using a mobile device
- Fixed an issue that could cause a member to end up have both “Courses” and “Communities menu options open at the same time if a menu option was clicked and then proceed to hover over another menu option
- Corrected an issue where the "Messages" menu option would appear twice when accessing from Admin Tools
- Fixed an issue where Save and Canel buttons within a Community of Practice were not displaying with the appropriate colors
Upcoming features and enhancements on our roadmap
- New, full-width app user experience
- Redesign login page and course player experience
- Improve accessibility across all alert modals
- Increase course activity canvas size from 600px to 1080px
- Increase image size support from 600px to 1080px when uploading images into a course activity