March 2021 Release Note: Accessibility, Navigation, Standardized Colors
This month’s release highlights our most recent product improvements and fixes so that our customers stay informed about what’s new on CorpU.
Important new features that will be added to CorpU on March 29th.
At CorpU, we take great pride in developing a high-impact learning platform that empowers businesses to easily create engaging cohort-based learning experiences that look great on any device. What’s even more important, however, is making that content accessible to anyone. That’s why we will be launching a series of improvements throughout 2021 that make CorpU more accessible than ever.
The March 29th release of CorpU brings new accessibility and design improvements, which is the first in a series of improvements that will move CorpU closer to full WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliance by end of 2021. Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) – are referenceable technical standards that explain how to make web content more accessible to people with disabilities – are stable. These guidelines are organized around the following four principles, which lay the necessary foundation for anyone to access and use web content. These guidelines ensure all content is:
- Perceivable - all users must be able to perceive the information being presented
- Operable - all users must be able to operate the interface
- Understandable - all users must be able to understand and easily operate the interface
- Robust - all content and technologies should remain accessible
To learn more about the WCAG principles and standards, visit the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Overview.
The primary focus of this installment of accessibility improvements on CorpU is updating the standard colors used throughout CorpU. We’ve now moved to a standardized blue theme in our design, which will lead us to meeting WCAG compliance for contrast. We are also working to change button and hyperlink colors to meet AA compliance.
Below is an example of what a custom branded CorpU site and course will look like before and after our March 29th release.
CorpU users may also notice:
- The CorpU app will no longer support customizing site colors in order to meet WCAG compliance for contrast;
- Improved keyboard navigation when using common keyboard commands to navigate a page;
- The ability to “Skip to main content” when using keyboard commands to navigate;
- Updated focus states when navigating sections on a page;
- Updated navigation design, including new options to navigate directly to courses and communities;
- Updated footer design, including options to navigate to our accessibility statement, Terms of Service, and access all available support options.
- The newest release of CorpU features a newly improved navigation. The top navigation menu is now streamlined and provides direct access to the things that matter most to you. You will notice you now have the ability to directly navigate to any course you may be participating in or supporting. You can also navigate to your catalog if enabled within your site.
- You can also quickly navigate to any communities of which you are a member.
- Lastly, you will notice icons that can navigate you to your profile, analytics or advanced admin tools.
The CorpU site footer has been improved to provide direct access to the following areas:
- CorpU Open - an online learning journey where participants learn alongside peers from other companies on the CorpU Platform.
- Accessibility Statement – learn how CorpU is continually improving the user experience for everyone and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
- Terms of Service – read the Terms of Service for your site.
- Support – access all available support resources within your site.
Smaller enhancements we have made to our product
- Automated cohort enrollment emails will now display the appropriate logo for the organization the course belongs to.
- The standard messaging of the Course Enrollment email has been improved.
- Various security and performance improvements have been implemented.
Corrections to bugs that have been identified in our product
- We fixed a typo in the Purpose-Driven Organization diagnostic.
- We fixed how information was displayed within the “What you will learn” section of a course splash page.
- We fixed the download attachment button text color within the live event course activity so it's easier to read.
- We fixed how a half-star rating would appear within Innovation Tournaments.
- Certain emails that would display “System” as the “From” name have been changed to rectify this issue.
Upcoming features and enhancements on our roadmap
- Additional accessibility improvements
- New, full-width app user experience
- Improved alert modals
- Redesigned login page