How to Add Learners to a Community of Practice
This article provides instructions for adding learners to a Community of Practice.
Adding learners to a community via course cohorts
By default, all learners that are enrolled in courses are added to the Community of Practice the course is located in. Learn more about the hierarchy of cohorts, course versions, and courses within Communities of Practice. Therefore, if a learner has been added to a cohort, they do not need to be added to the community as well; they will be added by default. Only learners that are not enrolled in a course contained within a Community of Practice, but whom you would like to include in the community, need to be added to the community.
Adding learners to a community using the community Members page
For all of the methods outlined below, begin with the following steps:
- Click on the admin tools gear icon on the top right of any page.
- On the next screen, click Communities on the left panel.
- Locate and click on the community you would like to update. Do not click on the View button, and instead click on the name of the community itself. Tip: for faster navigating, use the status filter and/or sort any columns in the page.
- On the left panel, click Members to go to the community Members page.
How to add learners with existing accounts to a community
- On the right, select Members and Non-Members. This will allow you to search for all learners regardless of whether or not they are already in the community.
- Type in the email address or name of the learner you’d like to add and click OK.
- The learner’s account will appear in the table. To add the learner to the community, select the checkbox under the column Is a Member.
How to add all learners from another community
- Click Copy Members on the top right of the page.
- Select the community you would like to copy all learners from using the Organization and Community dropdowns. You can also copy the admins and Featured Users from the community using the respective checkboxes.
- Click Copy at the bottom of the page.
How to add learners by creating new accounts
While this method generally isn’t preferred by admins as often as other options, it is possible to create a new learner account in the platform while adding the learner to the community at the same time.
- Click Invite New Member on the top right of the page.
- Enter the email address of the learner you would like to create an account for and click Check User. If the learner already has an account, they will simply be added to the community.
- Next, add the learner’s first name, last name, and title and click Create. If you’d like to create another account, click Create and Add Another.
- The learner’s account will be added to the community and the learner will receive a welcome email from the platform with instructions to log in and set up their account and profile.